RESOURCESFor Religious Trauma
Getting out of an abusive relationship can be hard and even dangerous. None of the resources listed here replace the help of a qualified psychotherapist. Most mental health providers do not advertise help with RTS (Religious Trauma Syndrome, yes its a thing), however any solid therapist is trained to recognize abuse and trauma. Find one that feels comfortable, even if you have to look around.
- Spiritual Abuse: stories and resources
- Warning Signs: Am I in a cult?/Am I a cult leader?
- Journey Free: Online RTS support group
- Recovering From Religion This website has a wealth of resources, including a Hotline and Live Chat, when you need to talk to someone who understands RIGHT NOW.
- ExChristian: Forum for reading stories from survivors and online chat. Best feature: write and submit your own story! The regular members will give positive feedback, emotional support and invaluable advice. Trolls, be warned: they will have you for lunch.
- Divorcing Religion: Janice Selbie offers online personal therapy, workshops and a Religious Trauma conference in 2020.
Sex Positivity Resources
- Come as You Are by Emily Nagoski
- Sex At Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha
- Savage Lovecast by Dan Savage (podcast-Savage also has several great books)
- Erika Lust: Lust is a female pornographer who specializes in real body positive porn.
- Make Love Not Porn: porn by regular folks
- Leaving the Fold by Dr. Marlene Winell Ph.D.
- Trusting Doubt by Dr. Valerie Tarico Ph.D.
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers
- The Uncomfortable Confessions Of a Preacher’s Kid by Ronna Russell
- Cut Me Loose: Sin and Salvation After my Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood by Leah Vincent
- Priestdaddy: A Memoir by Patricia Lockwood
- Holy Ghost Girl by Donna Johnson,
- Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres,
- Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
- Joy Unspeakable by Joy Hopper
- Beyond Belief: The Secret Lives of Women in Extreme Religions by Susan Tive and Cami Ostman,
- Anything by Tom Robbins, especially Skinny Legs and All and Half Asleep in Frogs Pajamas